Thursday, January 13, 2011

Dumbfounded: Arcadia Oaks Have Fallen


As I sit here today at the computer, I cannot believe that this has happened right next door to the city that my business is in.  The idiots/evil people at the Los Angeles Dept. of  Public Works and the LA County Board of Supervisors have leveled 11 acres of Oak Trees, Sycamores and all other vegetation and removed the homes of countless critters and bugs.  I don't want to think of how many plants and animals died yesterday and they didn't have to.  Damn them all for not choosing a better solution.  Some of these trees have been living here for over 100 years.  
Courtesy of Camron Stone who took photos of the area before he was asked to leave the site.  You can see his pics HERE

This morning after logging out of my email it always goes to the msn homepage and there at the bottom in small type, I read, "Four Tree Sitters Were Arrested in Arcadia".  I'm like, "HUH"? clicked on it and couldn't believe what I read.  I never heard anything about it.  Amazing more people from Arcadia, other Los Angelenos and more tree lovers weren't there to protest.  It surely didn't get much press or I'd have heard about it and so would many other people.  That was no doubt part of their plan.  In fact, according to what I've read the LADPW didn't notify the residents correctly or have the correct studies that were required by law.  BUT the damage is already done.  You can't bring back the life from yesterday's stupid massacre. 

Yes, we need to clean out the area above the dam so it doesn't burst open and flood but other solutions could have been figured out.  The government is getting too big and they don't listen to "We The People" and just bully their way through.  I'm just disgusted at the whole thing.  When I calm down I'm gonna write letters to 'em all. That will get it outta my system.

They held a candlelight vigil last night and even the actress, Darryl Hannah showed up.  Where was I last night?  Shopping at Target.  Wished I'd have known about this before today.  BTW, it is really pretty up in the canyon and in the foothills.  You don't feel that you are close to any city when you are there.  At least they didn't demolish that.  The neighboring community of Monrovia was smart and has purchased some land just below the foothills to keep the area in it's rural, natural state. 

The ironic thing here is that we have 2 extremely large Cypress trees in our front yard that are right up against the pillars of the house and have to be removed and I've been stressing over taking them out and the $ it will cost to do so.  We will plant 2 trees in their place but still I don't like killing plants!

Well, it's the end of work day and I need to do something creative and make myself feel better.  An evening of crochet is in order!  Truly hope your day was better than mine.

PS.  I want to thank those from the bottom of my heart that tried their best to save the woodlands, thank you, thank you so much!

A quote from John Muir: God has cared for these trees, saved them from drought, disease, avalanche and a thousand tempests and floods. But he cannot save them from fools.

1 comment:

Kris said...

If I lived there, I would have been one of the ones going away in handcuffs too! It is shameful!!!