Thursday, March 11, 2010

Descanso's Garden in March

Hello there, here are some more pix of what Descanso looks like in the late winter, early spring.  This is an incredible Rhododendron with raindrops still on the petals!  As a rule, they don't do well here in our mild climate.  Years ago, when I made a trip up the west coast to Oregon, on the side of the road were these huge bushes with large red flowers all over it and I had to stop the car to take a look.  They were robust Rhododendrons and I'd never seen anything like them.  I haven't yet tried to grow them here in my yard but I like to visit them here and at the local nurseries....someday....

























Please click on the pic to see the bigger version, it will be worth it!
Here are pix of the rose garden not yet in bloom...
 
 
Looking south on the path...
Those people with their children that you see in the upper right, are waiting for the mini train ride to take them for a garden tour.
A young, flowering Magnolia tree...
A hedge of a hundred Narcissus bulbs in bloom with a live lattice tree fence beginning to bud out with new leaves...















Information about the new art gallery....
















Here's where it will be...















A succulent garden.  Perfect for our scant rainfall that we receive here.
















The Camellia Forest.  If I were a fairy this is where I'd live...

















































































Last but not least, Mr. Mallard enjoying his morning swim...
Hope you have a peaceful day!

No comments: