Thursday, October 1, 2009

Progress

This morning I woke up from a sound sleep to "BOOM".  Sounded like a car had hit our house.  I flew outta bed and over to the phone and pushed 911.  When she answered I told her a car accident in front of my house.  She wanted more detail and I explained that I hadn't even looked out the window but I knew that it was an accident and to send help fast.  As she asked more questions I couldn't answer, I had to explain that I was awakened from a sound sleep and I was a bit disoriented.  I got off the phone and realized my own adrenaline was making me shake.  Looked at the clock it was just after 5am.  How many times in the last 9 years had I been awakened in the wee hours of the morning to accident sounds; squealing tires, shattering crash noises, booms and sirens?  Many times... and they were mostly bad.  People travel at way beyond the speed limit of 35 mph on my street at all hours of the day and night.  In the evening, when they are leaving Hollywood's nightlife they go speeding on the Boulevard.  JD and my son Shel, went outside immediately to find out if they could help out and found a young man who walked away from his thoroughly messed up vehicle.  AMAZING.  His guardian angel was paying attention for sure.  What happened was a car had come out from a side street and cut him off and to avoid hitting the car he swerved, lost control (no doubt because of going too fast) and his Acura SUV spun around and hit the light pole (that had to be the boom I heard and it was LOUD).  His tires were off the rims, one was completely torn apart and one side was really dented in according to JD.  I didn't go close to look, only peered through the window in between the trees.  He LIVED.  They don't always make it.  So please drive safely, thanks!

On a more pleasant note...Check out the progress on our basement.  Lotsa dust but hey, it isn't holey anymore.  Lookin' good!
 

Here is my happy Bromeliad as it looked this morning.  It's not a very good picture.  I was trying to get a close-up of the blue flower centers but I was too much in a hurry.  It's happy because, back in July I transplanted some of them and so they are gonna flower for me a little right now to show their appreciation.  They are bizarrely unique looking.  The florescent color is real.  They usually flower in Spring and then sometimes again in the Fall.  I wish the flowers lasted longer.  I wanted to make sure that I was spelling bromeliad correctly so went to Dictionary.com and I just found out that pineapples are in the bromeliad family!  Sure enough, the leaves are similar, kinda dry and stiff, learned something new today.  Here is what they look like when they are really happy:
Sadly, I am gonna have to part with some of my babies (potted plants) when we move because I doubt that I will have space for all of them.  Where we are now we have a large porch and it is filled with different potted plants that do well in the shade.  I'll letcha know when the time comes, what I'm gonna do with them all.  Meanwhile I want to think of happy things, like the young man who defied death this morning! 

No comments: